The Geo Group
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Certified Substance Abuse Counselor - Jail Program
at The Geo Group
Facility: RS LUZERNE COUNTY PA EM DRC
Compensation Bonus (if applicable):
Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Conducts and/or facilitates individual and group therapy sessions, which may include drug and alcohol abuse, sex offender, and domestic violence and mental health treatment, and classes, which may include cognitive, educational, GED, life skills, anger management, parenting and employment readiness skills, to provide education and treatment for clients. May communicate directly with customers as required by contractual obligations. Learns, uses and models principles of the “What Works” system through evidence-based practices in all interactions with clients and other staff members.
This role will work onsite at the Luzerne County Correctional Facility.
The schedule is: 8:30 AM -5:00 PM M,Tu, TH, Fr and 10:30 AM - 7:00 PM Wed
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Conducts and/or facilitates intakes, individual, group and family therapy sessions, classes and orientation, following Company curriculum and standards using principles of the “What Works” system.
- Maintains accurate clinical documentation including intake summaries, group notes, discharge summaries, treatment plans and updates. Updates therapeutic logs in a timely manner. Enters pertinent information into Company database.
- Conducts risks/needs assessments and creates individual treatment plans for each assigned client.
- Communicates relevant, accurate and adequate information regarding clients’ needs/concerns/issues to supervisor and other appropriate parties.
- May communicate client status/updates to customers as required by contract.
- Attends regular clinical supervision meeting to ensure communication between team members and collaboration on case management.
- Attends and participates in all staff meetings, workshops and trainings.
- Participates in daily office operations, such as client check-ins and monitoring client urinalysis, as needed to meet the needs of the program.
- May carry a client caseload.
- No supervisory responsibilities.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Teaching, presentation and group facilitation skills.
- Good organizational skills.
- May be required to have a solid knowledge of and ability to perform mental health assessments.
- Knowledge of clinical file maintenance.
- In-depth knowledge of substance abuse therapy.
- Ability to deal with resistive clients and manage difficult situations.
- De-escalation skills.
Education or Formal Training:
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology or Human Services discipline preferred but not required, unless required for State certification.
- Master’s Degree in Counseling, Social Work or other Behavioral Health field may be required by Re-Entry Offices in specific states.
- CADC substance abuse certification is required.
- Completion of Continuing Education Units as required for State certification or licensure.
- Three years experience in conducting group therapy sessions preferred.
- Typical office environment.
- The work environment and physical demands described below are representative of those that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations can be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Use of standard office equipment such as computer, keyboard, telephone, fax machine and copier.